Who doesn’t love a delicious lasagna? Pasta, meat, tomato sauce, and cheese. It doesn’t get any better than that, but what about when it does? When we went to the grocery store last week, we walked through the vegetable aisle and I was drawn to this one eggplant. It was calling out to me that it needed to be purchased and made into something so delicious and amazing, but what? The answer was simple for me: Lasagna. Now if you own a copy of Men Cook Too, you already know that I have created an eggplant lasagna before, but to me, this meal was different. Try it out and let me know what you think!
- 1 large Eggplant
- 1 Yellow Squash
- 1 Zucchini
- 3 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- 3 cups Tomato Sauce
- 2 cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Ground Thyme
- Fresh Basil
- Olive Oil
- Bread Crumbs
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees and warm 2 pans on medium to high heat on the stove.
- Cut eggplant into thin slices. You will want at least 8 slices of eggplant for layering. Peel skin from zucchini and yellow squash and dice into small pieces. Some people prefer to peel the eggplant, but I enjoy the skin.
- In a large plate, add bread crumbs and coat eggplant slices. Generously apply olive oil to pan and add breaded slices of eggplant. Cook on each side for 2-3 minutes until brown. Once eggplant reaches the desired coloring, add to 4×8 oven-safe dish and add more eggplant to the dish. As you can see in the image, I created two rows of layering in my dish.
- While eggplant is cooking in one pan, add olive oil to other pan and add squash, zucchini, and chopped garlic. Add salt and pepper to taste, as well as 3-5 fresh basil leaves cut into small pieces, and 1 teaspoon of ground thyme. Cook for 4-6 minutes and add tomato sauce. Stir and let cook for additional 5-8 minutes on low heat while you finish cooking the eggplant.
- As you add more eggplant to dish, add a layer of vegetables and mozzarella cheese. Continue this order until all eggplant is added to dish. Top off with remainder of mozzarella cheese and bake for 10 minutes.
- Broil on high for 3 minutes to get additional color on cheese.
- Cut, serve, and enjoy!